Last Updated on
TRAIL. Male infertility is the inability to cause a pregnancy often due to low sperm count. Fertility testing for men is recommended when conception does not occur after one year of unprotected intercourse.
Up to 15% of couples are infertile with male fertility issues playing a role in over a third of these cases. Researchers estimate that about 40 to 50 percent of the time, the main factor is a cause of infertility in the man. This usually happens
In most cases, the idea of a man being infertile is impossible. Chances are that you won’t even consider the fact that you could have the problem. Worse still, the realization that you could be or are infertile can cause a lot of damage.
To prevent the damage and surprise that comes with learning of an infertile diagnosis, men must understand what it means to be infertile, the signs, and available treatment options.
The LIV Fertility Center in Puerto Vallarta will perform a semen analysis and make every effort to you back on the right trail for a successful journey to parenthood.
Symptoms of Male Infertility
Male infertility is the inability to conceive a child due to a wide range of underlying issues, such as hormonal imbalance, blockage on the passage of sperms, an inherited disorder, or dilated veins around the testicles. Although most men with male infertility do not notice any other symptoms except the inability to conceive a child, the signs and symptoms associated with male infertility vary.
Some of the most common Male infertility symptoms include:
- Issues with sexual function. Some of the examples with such issues include difficulty with ejaculation, small volumes of fluid ejaculated, reduced sexual desire, or erectile dysfunction
- Recurrent respiratory infections
- Decreased facial or body hair or other signs of a chromosomal or hormonal abnormality
- Abnormal breast growth (gynecomastia)
- Pain, swelling or a lump in the testicle area
- Anosmia, otherwise known as the inability to smell
- A lower than normal sperm count. Normally, you are supposed to have not less than 15 million sperm per milliliter of semen or a total sperm count of more than 39 million per ejaculate.
Causes of Male Infertility
Natural male reproduction relies on a male’s ability to produce healthy sperm that can fertilize the egg and have an erection and ejaculate, so the sperm reaches the egg. When this fails, a man can be deemed as infertile. There are several causes of male infertility in men. they include:
For men, one of the critical factors in determining fertility in men is both the quality and quantity of the sperm. Sperm may be immature, abnormally shaped, or unable to swim. In some cases, there may be insufficient or zero sperm being produced.
Such male infertility may be caused by:
- Infections or inflammatory conditions
- Hormone or pituitary gland problems
- Immune problems in which antibodies fight against sperm
- Lifestyle factors, including tobacco use, heavy alcohol consumption, use of marijuana or steroids, or exposure to toxins
- Genetic diseases, such as cystic fibrosis or hemochromatosis
Structural issues are those involve the physical makeup of the male sexual organ. These could occur if something inhibits the genital tract thus stopping the flow of semen. Structural issues in the male reproductive system could be as a result of a congenital disability or genetics.
They could also be caused by an infection or inflammation from a sexually transmitted disease. Additionally, scar tissue from surgery or twisted, swollen veins in the scrotum can obstruct sperm.
Additional factors may include erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation. Diseases of the liver or kidney or treatment for seizure disorders can also affect male fertility.
Male Infertility Treatment Options
Several male infertility treatment options can be administered to help men regain their fertility. At LIV Fertility Center in Puerto Vallarta, we will provide you with the best treatment options for male infertility, including a male fertility test. Some of the treatment options available include:
Artificial insemination or intrauterine insemination (IUI) is used to treat infertility. It involves direct insertion of semen into a woman’s womb.
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) describes a technique where a woman’s eggs and man’s sperm are combined in a specialized laboratory to create an embryo(s).
ICSI refers to the laboratory procedure where a single sperm is picked up with a fine glass needle and is injected directly into each egg.
Hormone treatment may help if the cause of infertility is a hormone disorder. Sperm development is reliant on a lot of factors, among them hormones. a hormone imbalance in the body can affect how your sperms develop. Such imbalances of the hormones can be caused by problems in how the hypothalamus, pituitary gland, and testes interact. At the LIV Fertility center, our doctor could recommend treatment options such as gonadotropin therapy or antibiotics.
Fertility Testing for Men
Determining the right treatment option for your fertility problems is one of our most important tasks at the LIV fertility center. To do this, we go through a series of steps during the men’s fertility test before zeroing down on the right procedure.
The steps involved in our fertility test for me include:
- Physical exam. The exam includes a testicular examination.
- Semen analysis. A collection of a semen sample obtained by masturbation that is analyzed in the laboratory for the sperm count, sperm motility, sperm shape, quantity, and evaluation of the ejaculate liquid.
- Other tests may be performed that evaluate the sperm’s ability to penetrate the egg, as well as male hormone testing.
Our LIV Fertility Center in Puerto Vallarta is built to offer you comfort and service through all fertility issues. Schedule a consult with our fertility experts and learn more about male fertility, male fertility testing and what you can do about it.
Contact LIV Fertility
Located inside the prestigious San Javier Hospital, our state-of-the-art fertility clinic offers modern indulgences and contemporary architecture.
We Believe in You
It’s that simple.
Believe in LIV.
We believe in you.
IVF Success Stories
Every LIV success story introduces you to LIV in a new way. Every individual story is a testament to the amazing connections we are making everyday.