Last Updated on
EXPERIENCE. The LIV Fertility Center in Puerto Vallarta recognizes the importance of a complete and thorough evaluation for male infertility. It is the first step to determining what fertility treatment options at the LIV Fertility Center are right for you.
The semen analysis for our male patients is performed by reproductive experts with extensive experience.
What is the Semen Analysis?
A semen analysis can help clarify whether a man has a reproductive issue that is causing infertility, if a vasectomy has been successful, and if the reversal of a vasectomy has been successful.
A semen sample will be examined for:
- Volume. This is a measure of how much semen is present in one ejaculation.
- Liquefaction time. Semen is a thick gel at the time of ejaculation and normally becomes liquid within 20 minutes after ejaculation. Liquefaction time is a measure of the time it takes for the semen to liquefy.
- Sperm count. This is a count of the number of sperm present per milliliter (mL) of semen in one ejaculation.
- Sperm morphology. This is a measure of the percentage of sperm that have a normal shape.
- Sperm motility. This is a measure of the percentage of sperm that can move forward normally. The number of sperm that show normal forward movement in a certain amount of semen can also be measured (motile density).
- pH. This is a measure of the acidity (low pH) or alkalinity (high pH) of the semen.
- White blood cell count. White blood cells are not normally present in semen.
- Fructose level. This is a measure of the amount of a sugar called fructose in the semen. The fructose provides energy for the sperm.
How is the Semen Analysis performed?
If a low sperm count or a high percentage of sperm abnormalities are found, our fertility experts will recommend further testing. Other tests may include measuring hormones, such as testosterone, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), or prolactin. A small sample (biopsy) of the testicles may be needed for further evaluation if the sperm count or motility is extremely low.
Contact LIV Fertility
Expert IVF Specialists
Our team continually researches advances in reproductive medicineü pushes boundaries of fertility innovation and strives to increase pregnancy success rates.
Located inside the prestigious San Javier Hospital, our state-of-the-art fertility clinic offers modern indulgences and contemporary architecture.
IVF Success Stories
Every LIV success story introduces you to LIV in a new way. Every individual story is a testament to the amazing connections we are making everyday.