Some recently published studies have shown a relationship between BMI and IVF success rates. We have reviewed our own IVF data and found that increased body weight (BMI > 30) has a significant negative effect on IVF pregnancy success rates.
Are you considering IVF in Mexico? Are you suffering from infertility? Here at LIV Fertility Center in Puerto Vallarta, we feel it is important to understand how weight can affect your fertility. Do you know your BMI? (Use the calculator below to calculate your BMI)
BMI has been found to impair successful outcomes for IVF treatment. We have found the following complications to arise as a result of a high BMI:
- Lower response rate to fertility medications implemented during IVF treatment.
- Greater frequency of over-response and a higher risk of overstimulation and/or multiple pregnancies.
- Greater increase for IVF treatment complications, including:
- Fewer eggs retrieved
- Greater difficulty retrieving eggs with increased risk of bleeding or injury
- Greater anesthesia risk at the egg retrieval, including maintaining adequate airway, hypertension, and aspiration
- Greater difficulty with embryo transfer in visualizing the uterus and accomplishing the transfer effectively
- Lower embryo implantation rates
- Lower IVF success rates
Obesity is defined by a measure calculated by the height and weight of the patient to determine the body mass index, or BMI.
- Normal BMI: Defined by an index of less than 25
- Overweight: Defined by a BMI of 25 or greater
- Defined by a BMI of 30-34.9 (Class I obesity)
- Defined by a BMI between 35-39.9 (Class II obesity)
- Defined by a BMI above 40 (Class III obesity)
Contact LIV Fertility
Enjoy Puerto Vallarta’s unique cultural surroundings, year-round stunning climate, gorgeous pristine beaches and a dazzling array of world-class attractions.
Expert IVF Specialists
Our team continually researches advances in reproductive medicineü pushes boundaries of fertility innovation and strives to increase pregnancy success rates.
IVF Success Stories
Every LIV success story introduces you to LIV in a new way. Every individual story is a testament to the amazing connections we are making everyday.